[Wolves] Promoting Linux

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 13:41:01 2003

>> People say that installing Linux is hard, too, but I don't think it's =
that
>> bad.  It's just that you don't compare installing Linux with =
installing
>> Windows (and then heading off to assorted manufacturers' websites in
>> search of drivers, etc).  You have to compare it with /not/ =
installing
>>Windows, on the grounds that Windows will most likely already be
>>installed.
If you have put a new HDD in then you need to FDisk it, and format, =
before you put Windows on.  Installing any of the Linux distros I've =
tried, you have an auto partition option, which then formats them.  I =
found it especialy easy on Mandrake and Red Hat (Havn't tried Suse, so I =
can't comment directly, but I've heard that it is just as easy), even =
Debian was straight foward.

You also semi-regualarly have to reinstal Windows to get rid of the =
cruft, while Linux has many auto clean up tools.  I've only been playing =
with linux seriously for about 2 months, and these are obvious =
advantages.

>I hadn't really understood this until I tried installing Gentoo and
>Debian :) If you stick with RedHat et al, I reckon installation's often
>easier than Windows ... and certainly prettier :)
Definatly prettier, if you use a big commersial(sp?)  distro.  Debian =
setup definatly doesn't pass the 'mom test', but than doesn't mean there =
can't be a flavour for each market segment.  Most may stay with the easy =
install stuff, but a large enough percentage of users would want the =
flexibility offered by some of the other distros, and would use these =
once they had moved beyond the basics.

Alex G
"When did ignorance become a point of view?"