[Wolves] Promoting Linux

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 14 10:48:00 2003

>From: Si Griffiths <info@a2rt.org>
>Beginning to sound like the fuckin TV license, give em a few years an
>they'll
>have Microsoft detector vans patrolling down your road, then they'll be
>running billboard campaigns with the likes of 'Mr Sparkes of 84 Blah Blah
>Road has persistently failed to purchase a Microsoft license despite the
>fact
>that he owns two computers' & before you know it they'll have the likes of
>us
>up in court incredulous at the suggestion that we can use our computers for
>purposes, and with means, other than those deemed suitable by Microsoft . .
>.

I once got a knock on the door for having a black and white licence (having
been busted for no licence a couple of years before they must have thought
they were on to a winner) I invite the bloke in to prove that I did indeed
only have a black and white tv and no video.

The bloke couldn't believe that I only had one little tv and no video and
that I did most of my tv watching at a gf's house.  He asked if I would boot
up my pc so that he could check it didn't have a tv card (they must give
them half an education) dispite the fact that I showed him no ariel cable
was attached to the machine.

He waited patently for it to boot up, it went to the post screen and he was
smiling away, then linux started booting up (I didn't have the disc space
for a dual boot system at the time) and the smile faded.  It got to the
login screen and said what the f**k is this? lol I tried to explain it to
him but it was mid 1995 and people on the street had only used got used to
the fact you could own a pc so the fact I had a unixlike workstation really
messed with his mind.

he gave up and signed a form to say that I didn't own a colour tv or video.

that little episode doesn't bode well for the future, if they didn't believe
you could watch a tv in black and white in the 90's how are they going to
believe you can own a computer without windows?

>. . . where will it end???

in a police state with big brother watching over us...

...hang on are we sure that we aren't there yet?

sparkes

PS how did you know I live at 84 Blah Blah Road? are you the feds? we should
be told ;-)

Worried what your kids see online? Protect them better with MSN 8
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=186&DI=1059