[Wolves] Re: [Wolves]

fizzy wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 15 18:37:01 2003

> Interesting research, but not applicable. That
> reearch
> project was setup to analyse the security issues of
> the boxes within that context - an ISP. The context
> of
> some guy plugging his home machine into the net is a
> different issue.
>
> As an example...I was running off Blueyonder for a
> year and a half without a firewall protecting me and
> was not hacked once, because I was low target. I am
> not denying that the risk is out there (my
> smoothwall
> logs show the risk :/ ), but I don't think the
> urgency
> is as great.
>
> Now, if I worked for AOL and it meant plugging
> something in, then the firewall would be a prime
> concern...particularly if fizzy is expressing
> interest
> at 0wn1ng it. ;)
>
>   Jono

"This Honeynet consisted of eight IP addresses, using
a simple ISDN connection provided by a local ISP. This
type of connection is the same used by many homeowners
or small business users."

http://project.honeynet.org/papers/stats/

You must understand this.  The tools that these
attackers use just attack ranges of IP's. The majority
of script kiddies don't try and attack a site,
microsoft.com or aol.com they attack 62.5.*.* so
whatever lies in that range, be it a major companies
website or your dialup machine is in line for an
attack.

If you run a machine on blueyonder you would have been
scanned many many times a day, and if you were running
anything vunerable you would have been owned, weather
you would have known about it is a seperate matter :)

Yes, aol.com is a more prominant target, and would get
attention from more determined criminals, but just
because you aren't getting these people attacking your
machine doesn't mean that you aren't vunerable.

However, having said all that, you must judge the
value of your data and your machine, and how badly an
intrusion would affect you.  Personally I enjoy
security related things so i would never leave a
default install operating system facing the web, but i
can see the point of view that it doesn't really
matter to many people.

fizz

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience