[Wolves] Wiki

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 12:37:01 2003

Hi,

I don't know if I have got the wrong end of the stick
with this discussion, but my comments regarding Wiki's
are not political comments, but merely practical
comments.

A Wiki is an open framework for document creation.
This open framework gives users the ability to add and
remove content. As such, the fact that users can
remove content gives us an editorial risk.

As far as I am concerned, I think Wiki's are great. I
support the open concept, and in theory it is great.
The true test is if it works practically. There are a
lot of timewasters on the Internet, and I assume they
would enjoy wasting their time fecking up people's
Wiki's.

The point I was making was that you need to be aware
of these risks in assessing if a Wiki is the right
choice for a content creation system as their may be
practical risks as opposed to political risks.

I find this whole practical and political argument for
Wiki's really interesting; it brings up a load of
issues and it would be cool to chew the fat on it
tonight. :)

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Web Developer - Musician - Writer - Freelancer