[Wolves] modems

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 09:29:10 GMT 2003

 --- Helen Randle <helenr at gmx.co.uk> wrote: >

> It doesn't like my modem!
>
> I'm not sure if this is because it's one of those
> winmodem thingys or
> because it's a USB connection? Any advice??
>
> Oh, I'm on using Mandrake 9.2, if you need to know
> that.

USB modems are often winmodems, but it could also be a
USB problem as you say. Have you tried the Mandrake
Internet connection wizard in the networking part of
the Mandrake Control Panel? It might detect a
winmodem. Could have a look around for you if you say
what your modem is, manufacturer and model.

First thing to do is search google or google/linux for
your modem make and model. You may immediately come
across something that says it doesn't work with Linux.
If you don't turn up anything useful that way, try and
find out the chipset manufacturer and model by
searching google (note chipset manufacturer being
different to modem manufacturer) and take this
information to linmodems.org to see if this is
supported by Linux. Also try this chipset information
at google and maybe http://mandrakelinux.com/en to see
what you can dig up.

If it's a winmodem it probably won't work, though SuSE
claim to support quite a few winmodems nowadays so
maybe things are getting better.

Thorough searching at google and linmodems should
produce an answer. HTH.

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk