Wireless security (was Re: [Wolves] PDAs - a vague question)

Old Dan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 16:28:01 2003

fizzy wrote:

>  --- Old Dan <dan@dannyboy.dnsalias.org> wrote: >
> <sneaky devil's advocate>
>
>>::cough::
>>
>>'The case in point here is that bragging about
>>commiting a crime is simply not acceptable on this
>>list - if anyone, and I mean anyone does it, they
>>will
>>be warned and possibly removed - I don't promote
>>crime
>>in any way and I don't want it on this list. If you
>>crack illigally, tell me at LUGs and not on this
>>list.'
>>  -- Jono
>>
>>::cough::
>></sneaky devil's advocate>
>>
>>;) ;)
>
> Ahh, but Dan my man, he is not advocating commiting a
> crime, simply surveying the extend of wireless
> security in Wolverhampton.  Yes, that information
> could be used in commiting a crime, but in itself is
> legal.
Well, y'see, that all depends.

Is it the actual *act* of gaining unauthorised access to a network which
is a crime or what you do with that access which counts?  Would simply
driving around with a wireless transceiver going constitute hacking,
since you're *actually driving around* with it for the purpose of
finding insecure networks?  Could that not be considered by some to be
almost the same as using a port scanner to access ports 137-139 on
insecure windows boxen over the 'net?

Methinks the law (& the judiciary for that matter) is/are too stupid to
be able to discriminate these cases.  I think you'd get done if you got
caught either way.

--
Dan