[Wolves] The size of this list.

Jon Farmer wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 09:14:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jono Bacon" <jonobacon@yahoo.com>

> My position on the list is that we should keep
> discussion as it is for now. I agree with BamBam that
> there is a fair bit of traffic, but I am happy that it
> falls into areas such as technical issues (such as
> helens recent discussions) and discussion (such as
> recent interesting threads on the legality of
> computing).
>
> I can understand if the list is a bit big for some
> people - and I have heard this from a few others as
> well as BamBam, and I therefore suggest using the
> Digest feature to get a single email and you can just
> read what you are interested in. The other options is
> using the mailing list archive to read threads you are
> interested in.

I have to say that for a LUG I find this conversation a bit bizarre! The
whole point of this type of mailing list is to discuss things and any
healthy dicussion is going to generate traffic. I am on some mailing lists
that generate 300+ emails a day and I for one dont think that is a bad
thing. For one thing a lot of open source software is vastly more "mailing
list aware" than other commercial offerings. As Jono correctly states if
your lifestyle, net connection or whatever means the individual emails
function is a pain then switch to digest.

I personally hate web forums. There are so few that are useable and even a
lot of open source forum software is poorly implemented IMHO.

Just my tuppence FWIW

Jon