[Wolves] Floppy discs

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 16 11:55:01 2003

Peter Oliver spoo'd forth:
>> > and save things from floppy as well as the hard drive. There must
>> > surely be a better way than clicking the "floppy" link on the KDE
>> > desktop (created with "Create New Device" -> "Floppy Device"),
>> > navigating to /floppy in the AbiWord save dialog, saving, and then
>> > right-clicking the "floppy" link and saying "Unmount". That's arse. How
>> > would you suggest I set it up so it's better?
>
> You could write a daemon that watches a directory for new files written by
> abiword and automatically replicates them to floppy.

*wince* That's rather pants, though :)

>> have a look at the automounter daemon (amd) this can be configured
>> automatically mount the floppy (or a CD) when inserted.  It will still
>> require the floppy to be manually dismounted however.
>
> No, actually.  The automounter will unmount filesystems after a period of
> inactivity.  You can set the timeout.

It says all over the place to not set it to something low; why not?
Would it be a problem if I set the inactivity unmount timeout to 3
seconds? It'd unmount the disc all the time, but that's not really a
problem, since it'd be remounted whenever she tried to use it.

Next question: should I use autofs, which requires a kernel recompile
(boo!) or am-utils (which used to be amd), which is userspace (which
makes sense to me for this, and doesn't require a recompile) but seems
to be a bit older and less-well-supported?

Aq.

--
For your information, some people think I'm very funny
	   -- Joe Hallenbach, "The Last Boy Scout"