[Wolves] wireless - bambam

fizzy wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 10:55:01 2003

Just read the article at:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/excerpt/wirlsshacks_chap1/

and must say it's pretty shocking! As far as i'm aware
the methods mentioned (MAC control, WEP and disabling
SSID broadcast) are the ONLY options available for
security on a majority of wireless gateways.

As I consider my future wireless network it looks like
it's going to be hard work, the only safe way I can
think of is to allow only VPN network connections to
the wireless network, easy in theory but not so simple
to actually do! :)

The only reasuring bit was in the comments at the end
-

"However, Lucent changed its Orinoco firmware in
September 2002 to stop its cards transmitting weak
packets. I have never managed to crack an Orinoco card
running up-to-date software."

So WEP can be secure, but i have to buy new hardware
:\

The only other resource i've found is no cat
(http://nocat.net/) but that seems pretty crap too.

Am i missing something here? Is all wireless stupidly
insecure or is there some easy way of doing things i'm
missing out on?

fizz