[Wolves] Linux advocacy in Wolverhampton

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 16:41:02 BST 2004

It's been some time since I gave much thought to Linux advocacy. We are,
though, the best placed people to bring Linux to Wolverhampton. This
immediately brings two questions to mind:

- why are we the right people to tell Wolverhampton about Linux?
- why does Wolverhampton need Linux?

I think the answers to the first question are fairly obvious: we're
organised, we're in Wolverhampton and, collectively, we have the right
experience to handle all aspects of it.

I believe we also know the answer to the second question but we really
need to be certain of it, before we can convince anyone else why they
need Linux. Off the top my head, I can think of:

- it's free, as in speech, and can be free, as in beer
- for many uses, it's better than alternatives
- it makes older hardware useful
- vendor tie-in can be a thing of the past.

I'd like to work with people, preferably from the LUG, on how we can
present Linux to Wolverhampton and the Black Country. I think we need to
be certain of why we're doing it and then we need to do *a lot of work*
on gathering a knowledge base of white papers, FAQs, tutorials and so
on. Then, we need to work on plans to actually present Linux.

I'm not writing this as some kind of throw-away idea. I *really* want to
do this and I'm sure that other people in the LUG do as well. I don't
want it to take over my life, tho' :)

Let me know if you're interested and if you have thoughts on whether
this is worthwhile and, if so, how we could go about it.

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.

www.lugradio.org - radio for Linux and open source fans