[Wolves] MCSE 'again'

Simon Burke its_simon_burke at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 15:37:36 BST 2004

On 8/4/04 3:21 pm, "David Goodwin" <david at openminds.co.uk> wrote:

>> Yeah I know that emacs isnt the best editor to use and I do know why
> but the
>> prob is that its what I am used to, I'm slowly picing up vi, but  emacs just
>> seems so much more simplistic to me. I know enougth of vi to edit config
>> files and such but anything else im opening another console and going 'man
>> vi'.
>

> I did actually start using Emacs before I knew vi (after getting fed up
> with pico's line handling and nedit just didn't cut it for remote stuff)
> and was able to do some stuff, but having to do ctrl+x before anything
> got too confusing and one day my brain just totally forgot how to use
> it... then I reverted to gvim and from there learnt vi[m]
>
> David.

I know what you mean, though I haven't used gvim, I think at one point I
said 'man vim > vimhelp.txt' and then printed it for the commands, easier
for me to digest it on paper than on screen.
Oh and also I think everyone used emacs at one point or another before they
found out how cr*p it was, and I am trying to get out of using emacs and
using vi, I'm prolly just getting defensive about this and I don¹t want to
start war of the editors again, but I know emas bad, vi better which I think
was what was decided?? And im trying to get into vi now as emacs is a bit
big, though it doesn¹t do much when your using it on a machine where im
using around 70Mb (about 30 of which is emacs) of the HDD for most stuff and
the rest if the space is for remote users, ( its running openBSD, I know its
not great but it suits what im using it for).