[Wolves] Monitoring everything

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Sun Apr 11 13:04:32 BST 2004

Peter Oliver spoo'd forth:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Aquarius wrote:
>
>> I think it is enough, because FAM can monitor directories, and if you
>> monitor a directory you get notifications of changes, additions, and
>> deletions on files within it for free.
>
> I don't think so.  Modifing an existing file does not result in any
> changes to its containing directory.

But you are wrong :)
"FAM was designed to monitor only one level deep. That is, if you
monitor a directory, FAM will report full details of any files
changing in that directory, the directory name if a file one level
one level deeper changed, and nothing if the event occurs deeper
than that. "
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/faq.html#limitations

DNotify doesn't notify of file changes in a directory if all you're
monitoring is the directory, but FAM does, by monitoring the files
itself when notified of directory changes.

>> A thousand directories in your
>> home isn't beyond the realms of possibility (mine contains 9106,
>> according to 'ls -R $HOME | grep -c "^$HOME.*:$"' -- you may have
>> a better way of working this out!
>
> find ~ -type d | wc -l

Smarty pants :) I never thought of -type on find...

Aq.

--
from string import *;import re,base64;w=base64.decodestring('YXF1YXJp'+
'dXNAa3J5b2dlbml4Lm9yZw==');u='['+lowercase+']';print re.sub(u,'-',w)