[Wolves] Fool and his money

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Apr 13 14:42:36 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 14:17, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi Sparkes
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 13:39, sparkes wrote:
>
> > free (as in beer) software can sometimes be free (as speech), free (as
> > in speech) can always free (as in beer).

snip

> Downloaded software is not free that myth needs re-adjusting, I or
> someone else has to pay for the phone call or broadband service, if like
> me you can download at work you still pay another way by perhaps paying
> for a disk to burn it or working over to make up for the perk.

free software does not mean it has to be free to buy.  see gnu.org
philosophy section to clear up this common misunderstanding.

My point was (not very clear admittedly) that the majority of the
software in suse and mandrake are free (as in speech) so what bits are
you paying for? because the download versions are free.  Do you require
the commercial software that comes in the pay for version? or are you
just paying for the media.  If you are paying for the media you can get
the download version for the cost of the media and postage from several
good vendors.

> > There are no restrictions at all (and no cost for downloads) if you
> > stick to debian ;-)
>
> If you've looked at some earlier postings today you will see I would
> like to test out morphix which I believe is a deb package?
morphix comes as an iso disk image that can be upgraded to debian by
downloading the latest deb packages.  Debs are just intelligents tar.gz
files.

> Plus I will get back to you regarding software for your DEC 433MP
cheers.  I can't wait to get this monster roaring again.

sparkes