[Wolves] Kernel 2.6 compile

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Thu Apr 15 14:03:26 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 13:56, David Goodwin wrote:
> Matthew Revell wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > I'm gonna attempt a kernel 2.6 compile on my Athlon Debian machine, this
> > weekend. Does anyone have any general tips?
> >

> Have you compiled kernels before? (e.g. 2.4.XX?)
>
> I'd suggest you get a working config from somewhere (perhaps the debian
> kernel source includes it?). Some distros have it in either /boot or
> /proc/config.gz (SuSE at least). Not sure about Debian.

I have a config that builds almost everything as a module that can be
built as a module.  I did this to save time fine tuning later cos
compile time is cheap (I went to bed and installed and rebooted in the
morning.)

> Copying this file to /usr/src/$kernelversion/.config and running "make
> oldconfig" will allow you to rebuild an identical kernel. You can then
> run "make menuconfig" or "make kconfig" (?kde version?) and select
> things at will.
make xconfig is qt based and needs a lot of libs
make gconfig is a gtk one?
make menuconfig is the quickest (apt-get install libncurses-dev should
fix the only dependency)

> Compilation is a simple "make modules modules_install install" (at least
> this worked for me).

make-kpkg buildpackage -rev Custom.1 kernel_image

will do all the compilation of it all and build it into a deb package so
you can just install it with dpkg and still install over it with apt
later.  As a debian user you now don't have to bother with the 6 steps
after configuration as they are all automated.

see http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm for a decent rundown of
anything you have to do.

sparkes