[Wolves] Email help

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 16:30:05 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 14:13, David Goodwin wrote:

> IMAP's good because it stores all your mail on a server, so any client
> can use it - as opposed to the pop3 approach where you download mail
> from the server into the mail client.... this mail is then unavailable
> to other email applications.
>
> Fetchmail will download your mail from your ISP.
>
> Fetchmail will then pass the email to your MTA (e.g. sendmail or postfix
> (better)).
>
> Postfix will then deliver the email to which ever user it is addressed
> to, using procmail. Your ~/.procmailrc file will define which mailbox
> mail is placed in.
>
> As a user you will then connect to the mail server over IMAP and read
> your mails. You might then log out/reboot the machine/switch email
> clients, and continue reading the same messages etc (as it's all server
> side stuff).
>
> Does that explain everything okish?
>
> David.

One possibly bad thing my Imap set up does (esp from a Windows client) is display
 my home directory and contents while it is finding mail folder.
Although not much of a security implication (as to log on to Imap you need user/pass of
that user anyway), it could be if you do what I do and setup an Imap link on my secretarys
pc so she can check my mail in emergencies)

Also Linux-Linux viewing Imap (RH9+Evolution -> RH8+Exim) can be very slow at times refreshing folders
whereas Windows client reads it really quickly.