[Wolves] Virus??

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Mon Apr 19 21:34:41 BST 2004

Hi Mo,

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 20:04, Mo Awkati wrote:
> Hi Folk
>
> I have been on holiday and switched the email off so
> if this subject has already been raised I apologise.
>
> I am getting emails from people I don't know and the
> emails are going in my bulk folder. I think the virus
> is Netsky or something like that. I presume something
> somewhere has "highjacked" or spoofed my email
> address??
You are quite correct.  The Netsky family spoof the from address using
any addresses found on the infected machine, including web pages, so if
your address was on a web page the system visited, it could be used.

> Does it affect my Linux machine?

No, it is a windows executable that would requires Windows, Internet
Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express in order to infect the system.  Now
if you were collecting your email as root with OE under VMWare/WINE, it
might be a different story...

> I have not
> opened any of the emails and deleted them straight
> away.

Best thing to do with them.

HTH

--