[Wolves] Exim 4

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 13:57:02 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 09:23, Wayne Morris wrote:
> Anyone else you Exim 4?
>
> Had a lot of problems over the weekend with my mailserver on exim 3  -
> just not answering requests - no log even of request.
> Some mail was getting thru, but 80% just dropped.
>
> Just installed rpm of exim4, adjusted the conf file, but now the bloody
> thing won't even listen to port 25.
> Is there an on button somewhere?

Yuck, I fixed it - what a waste of several hours.

1) Bloody thing won't listen to smtp if you use X services to start it, needs to be command line with switches
2) Exim4 and Exim3 are not bloody compatible by the looks, exim3 uses user=mail group=mail whereas exim4 uses
 eximuser and mailadm so all the directory permissions are screwed if you install over the top of 3
3) Documentation is longwinded and not very helpful.

But i got there!