[Wolves] Kernel 2.6

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Thu Apr 22 12:19:19 BST 2004

Hi all

I decided to try Kernel 2.6 (finally) on my laptop last night, so I took
the cop-out's way of doing it and installed a kernel-image.  It is a
real speed improvement isn't it?  mplayer no longer says 'Your system is
TOO SLOW to play this' when I'm playing video files and the whole system
just feels faster, although I did notice with big processes it tends to
get stuck in with them rather than giving all that much propiority to
anything else - though that could have just been my imagination.

What the hell is the deal with the mouse though?  Surely if you now need
to load a module the Debian kernel maintainer peeps could have inserted
a 'remember you have to add psmouse to /etc/modules if you use a ps2
mouse' or something to the config script.  Grrr.  That's ten minutes of
my life I won't get back... :)

That said, other than that hiccup the upgrade went smooth as silk.

--
Dan
Still knackered from the last couple of days