[Wolves] general kernel question

C J Coleman ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sun Apr 25 10:29:28 BST 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 10:12:51AM +0100, Ade Bradshaw wrote:
> Now that there is so much talk about the 2.6 kernel, how much
> longer will the 2.4 kernel be supported/updated. For example is
> the 2.2 kernel still actively supported/patched?

The 2.2 kernel (and the 2.0 kernel) are still maintained, though
they are not updated a quickly in most cases.  I should think that
2.4 will be available for a long time yet.

> Secondly when do you see the majority of people switching to the
> 2.6 kernel - I know some of you already run it

This is pretty random, a lot of people like to wait until at least
.10 - though it is personal test.  I believe that is has been
stated that 2.6 is already more stable than 2.4, but that is just
opinion for the most part.  When to run it: when you need or want
something it has.

--
C J Coleman <ug97cjc at cs dot bham dot ac dot uk>  GPG Key ID: A0F63EF1
GPG Key Fingerprint = ED46 AE41 133E B234 3E0B  DD16 3F5B BBA3 A0F6 3EF1