[Wolves] Hello

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 15:44:54 BST 2004

Hi Peter

I don't have any experience with Suse (apart from playing around with the
ocassional live CD) but have noticed a few people here seem happy with it.
Fedora Core 1 seemed great at first - I was impressed with the amount of
recent software included.  I had to re-install my network card several times
though as it seemed to almost randomly forget the settings (?)  There were
also issues with FC1 update being broken - I'd presumed the service was
heavily oversubscribed & just running very slowly until I found out it was a
known problem.  Then one day the whole file system started to corrupt & after
a short time became unbootable.  I had to repartition so it seemed like a
good time to play with debian again ;~)  I've got a couple of debian installs
running at the moment but they're both running an agnula set up so are
running unstable.  I've installed it three times now & each time it gets
easier - always takes a bit of playing around to get X set up though.  The
apt tools are the best - I'm becoming a convert!

Seems to me that these days the hardest part in choosing a distro is the sheer
number of decent distros out there!

How have you found FC2?  When I was choosing between Fedora/Debian I seemed to
be choosing between newer/more up to date software (kernel 2.6, KDE 3.2 etc.)
or a proven, stable & well established distribution.  Of course redhat which
fedora is based on has been around for a while now ;~)

To find out about A2RT have a look at a2rt.org  It's basically set up to
create a media lab/open access space by recycling donated systems.  Based in
Brum.  They have a warehouse now too so it's looking good.

cheers
kev

kev at magicmoon.co.uk