[Wolves] my own personal web-server

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 20:51:29 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "baza" <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk>
To: "Wolverhampton Linux User Group" <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 5:52 PM
Subject: [Wolves] my own personal web-server

> OK, here's what I want to do.
>
> At the moment I have a web site that is hosted on a, 'virtual server.
> This company is a total arse. So I want to set-up a web server and host
> it myself. I have a spare PC running Linux that could act as my server,
> I have a wanadoo DSL link to the net.
>
> What do I need to do now?
>
> Barry
> --
> Computer says 'no'

Set up Apache on Linux server, should be straightforward.
Test server from across internal network, see if you can view content
Buy a router, set it to forward incoming traffic on port 80 to IP address of
server (1)
Err, thats pretty much it for basic setup.

Then move on to password protecting certain directories if required.
Setting up and using php if you want to do a bit more
Ditto xml and all that stuff.

1) Your provider may block access to port 80 to stop home servers, so you
can either have everyone
access your site on 8081 for example and have the router route traffic 8081
to the server on 80.
Or you can buy redirect for port blocking from someone like no-ip.com for
about £20 a year and traffic is routed from them on
80 to you on 8081 and then router to 80 (so to the outside world the server
is on the standard port).
As far as I know, most isp's don't block home servers for http, just have
terms and conditions to prevent overuse - Blueyonder allows webservers
but they must be user/pass protected from index page , so general surfers
can't get in unless given user/pass.
The converse applies for email servers, most block port 25 so you either
need to pay for unblocking or use no-ip to bypass.