[Wolves] ntop

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 10:23:03 GMT 2004

Hi All

Has anyone got any experience with ntop? for the last couple of years I have
been blamed for our network running slow from time to time (everything is
Windows based apart from my Laptop) this usually consists of "Kill your
bloody Linux download" shouted from upstairs.

This happened again yesterday, sick to death of the accusations I fired up
ntop to find out if it was me surficed to say it was someone in the next
room.

The point of this post is while I know the IP address of my laptop and can
identify that on the ntop chart is there a way under Linux to give the
machine name like you can under Windows?

Currently 70% of the machines here are identified by the user name e.g. peterc
is my Windows workstation, I would like to identify this laptop as Fedora
rather than its IP address that way when I slap the chart on my Directors
desk he can see straight away that my usage is minimal.

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk