[Wolves] ntop

Chris Ball chris at mnemonik.net
Tue Dec 7 11:01:00 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> The point of this post is while I know the IP address of my laptop and can
> identify that on the ntop chart is there a way under Linux to give the
> machine name like you can under Windows?
>
> Currently 70% of the machines here are identified by the user name e.g. peterc
> is my Windows workstation, I would like to identify this laptop as Fedora
> rather than its IP address that way when I slap the chart on my Directors
> desk he can see straight away that my usage is minimal.

Is there an option to do a DNS lookup of the IP addresses (assuming your
  laptop is registered with your works DNS server), or an option to
gather information by Host name? i'd be suprised if there wasn't. I
can't seem to find any decent docs, and our linux server is in the
middle of a hefty file conversion/back up scheme at the minute.