[Wolves] ntop

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 11:43:08 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 10:55, David Goodwin wrote:

> I suspect...
>
> Either register it in DNS, edit /etc/hosts

I might have a go at the hosts option I have done that for my Suse box but
maybe I'm not thinking straight as far as the process is concerned.

I have stuck the name Suse and IP address in the hosts file of my Fedora
machine and stuck the name Fedora and IP address in the hosts file of my Suse
machine there is no mention of Fedora on this machine and I have no way of
sticking it on our server I'd get lynched.

Are you saying that I can stick Fedora 192.xxx.xxx.xxx in /etc/hosts and that
will not affect the connection? seeing as my network settings refer to
centrosales.

> or use nmbd with Samba to register yourself under WINS.

<snip from Chris Ball>

>Is there an option to do a DNS lookup of the IP addresses (assuming your
>laptop is registered with your works DNS server), or an option to
>gather information by Host name? I'd be surprised if there wasn't. I
>can't seem to find any decent docs, and our linux server is in the
>middle of a hefty file conversion/back up scheme at the minute.

I'm not a network expert I can get things on by using simple static IP's this
machine has got a static IP but I think it gains Internet access via DHCP I
cant get the thing to browse our network but thats probably lack of knowledge
more than anything as I can access peterc using my old favourite smb4k

The argument has moved on in the last two hours,

"There are only two members of staff who regularly download and your one of
them"

Considering we are supposed to be an independent ISP I wonder if everyone at
say 'Wanadoo' runs round like a headless chickens screaming "Some ones
downloading!!" its pathetic.

(Mr Google doesn't frighten me)

Like you Chris the only stuff I can find is the man pages which gives option
commands which ain't what I want, ntop shows my Laptop as the IP address so I
suspect there is no name resolution I would have thought it would have shown
up as centrosales which is the quasi hostname I use.
(This is a hang over from when I first got into Linux the guys here assumed
the company name or a derivative had to be there somewhere for the laptop to
be allowed access)

I was hoping you could do like you can when Loading Windows and give the
machine name/description as I think thats what is getting picked up for the
other machines in ntop.

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.