[Wolves] cups and my lousy hp laserjet6

scared at geneforensic.mine.nu scared at geneforensic.mine.nu
Sun Dec 12 10:06:46 GMT 2004

Hi thanks for all the feedback,
Sorry its taken so long to reply, I'm sure I sent one before going off
colour for the last few days but it isn't in the digest.......

I've followed all the tips given and looked at the links.  TBH this
printer was always a pain on M$ boxes, needing to be run on 4L drivers and
not 6L.  I seem to remember reading an admission by HP drivers goofs that
they were sleeping the day they wrote the interface for these things.

The hardware test page works, configuring as an HP-PCL XL gets a less
squiggled result from CUPS test page, however normal service is not
available....

  I think what i need to do is reconfigure all the printer side from
scratch and install as an HP 4L.  Somewhere down the line of installing
this printer, I ran the following command, so now - even when no printer
connected only one printer type is offered.

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe

the result was as follows.

CLASS:PRINTER;
MODEL:HP LaserJet 6L;
MANUFACTURER:Hewlett-Packard;

Any ideas hown I can clear this and fool linux into letting me manually
install the 4L config?

thanks all.
sausage.