[Wolves] Upgraded to Hoary - stuck in 640 x 480

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Tue Dec 28 13:04:26 GMT 2004

MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com wrote:
> Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
>
> Yesterday, I stupidly upgraded to
> Hoary. I say "stupidly" because I did it when I wasn't really prepared for
> the work I'd have to do. So, I got fed up when X.org wouldn't load because
> XFree86 hadn't been fully removed.
>
> So, I re-installed Warty - perhaps a
> little rash, but without any way to get on the web, other perhaps than Lynx,
> I couldn't get the info necessary to fix the installation I had.
>
> Then I
> upgraded to Hoary again. All well, except that I'm now stuck in 640 x 480
> and the screen resolution tool doesn't give me any other options?
>
> Any thoughts
> anyone? It was 1991 the last time I used a PC at this resolution :)

I'll assume you've tried pressing alt-ctrl-+ to cycle through resolutions?

Failing that have a look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (your original
XF86Config may still be in that directory by the way, to use as
reference). Needless to say anything which has 640x480 on it is suspect :)

I believe an XF86Config can be used with xorg, with no problems, apart
from that they've renamed from kbd to keyboard or something like that....

Failing all the above, there's probably something like xf86config or
what ever xorg calls it...

If you're still having no joy I could dig up an xorg.conf file (when at
home, as I'm at work (but not really working)).

David.

--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.com