[Wolves] Blogs and CMSs

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 19:32:50 GMT 2004

> Being a poverty stricken student, I'm going to have to
> host this on my own server behind my Smoothwall and
> ADSL connection. Is this going to be a terrible thing
> in terms of bandwidth, security and stability? I'd
> hate to make a mess of PW with a feed from a
> problematic server, but I can't afford hosting.

I've played around with hosting servers from behind smoothwall & the safest
option from a security point of view seems to be to add a network card for an
orange interface. And then to open a DMZ pinhole or forward a port from
smoothwalls external red interface to a server on the orange interface.
Rather than risk running a server that can be seen by the outside world on
your green LAN interface.  Then again I am quite paranoid about security -
you could open a DMZ to a machine on your LAN if you were less paranoid than
me ;~)

There are plenty of people on this list that will explain that a lot better &
probably have better solutions.  The only extra hardware required is the
network card for your orange interface.  It's covered in the smoothwall
documentation.

Good luck
kev