[Wolves] Smoothwall with wireless router

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Feb 6 12:07:27 GMT 2004

fizzy wrote:
>  --- Old Dan <dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org> wrote:
>
>>Customisability.  Statefulness.  Upgradability.
>>Open-sourcedness.
>>You know, the usual Linux shit.  :)
>
> It just sounds like RMS style stupidity.  You have a
> router, it blocks bad traffic, it routes outgoing
> traffic, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Ah but /how well/ does it do it?

> Customisabilitiy isn't needed, as it's a limited remit
> you're working for.  Statefulness? huh?.
http://www.snapgear.com/faqomatic/public_html/fom-serve/cache/31.html

Now we don't know what sort of router it is so we don't know whether it
has this capability do we?  I do know however that a lot of wireless
routers most certainly do not.

   You can
> flash the firmware on most routers.
...when it gets updated - which only happens as long as that router is
being manufactured in most cases.

   Open-sourcedness
> also doesn't seem relevant, sorry RMS, shout at me now
> :)
Yes it is.  See immediately above.

Now wash your mouth out!  ;P

--