[Wolves] The good samaritan

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 11:16:35 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Good news 98% success

well done

> I can ping .99 (Suse machine)
>
> When I implement the mount command I get "RPC time out"

On the client? Did you try pinging by name? (therefore making sure
/etc/hosts works ok).

Make sure you are running portmap (i.e. "ps -aef | grep portmap" in a
terminal) on the client.

Also make sure that the server is running "mountd" (sometimes called
rpc.mountd) like the above. You may need to run
"/etc/init.d/nfs{d|server} start"
(Can't remember what the script is called on SuSe - it's gotta be
nfsSOMETHING, and I thought it was done automatically if there was an
entry in /etc/exports, but I may be wrong).

You may also have a firewall on the server which might be in the way...
check that it is set to trust your local LAN perhaps? Or allow NFS/RPC
through (I think it's all UDP).

Also check that /etc/hosts.allow has ALL:ALL (or ALL:192.168.0.X) in it
on the server (Where X is the client's IP).

> Now it must be doing something because the PC (Suse) had a panic attack
> and froze, couldn't do a thing with it so had to switch off mains power.

Hmm. I wouldn't expect that....

> Whats RPC? and any thoughts on the remaining 2% user ID's are the same
> so are passwords suse sneyd home is shared out.

RPC = remote procedure call.. it's used by NFS etc .. couldn't tell you
much more to be honest.

David.
(Looking forward to a birthday curry lunch)