[Wolves] The good samaritan

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 18:51:30 GMT 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> > Make sure you are running portmap (i.e. "ps -aef |
> grep portmap" in a
> > terminal) on the client.
>
> Do I need to have this running permanently while my
> connection is up? Eg
> have a terminal open as well as Konqueror (browsing
> between the two
> systems?

This will just tell you whether portmap is running. If
it reports nothing then it's not running. You can
close the terminal after the command has run if it is.
If it isn't then you need to try to start the service
in a similar way to how David describes for mountd
below.

> > Also make sure that the server is running "mountd"
> (sometimes called
> > rpc.mountd) like the above. You may need to run
> > "/etc/init.d/nfs{d|server} start"
> > (Can't remember what the script is called on SuSe
> - it's gotta be
> > nfsSOMETHING, and I thought it was done
> automatically if there was an
> > entry in /etc/exports, but I may be wrong).

Try the commands

dmesg | less

and

cat /var/log/messages | less

and use the arrow keys to scroll up and down looking
for stuff saying that nfs, mountd and portmapper are
starting. If not then try David's idea for running the
script.

> > Also check that /etc/hosts.allow has ALL:ALL (or
> ALL:192.168.0.X) in it
> > on the server (Where X is the client's IP).

Have a look at /etc/hosts.deny and make sure there
isn't something refusing access to a certain ip
address or address range into which your laptop falls.

Thats it for now.

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk