[Wolves] Nervous breakdown

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 13:54:34 GMT 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote: > On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 14:50, David Goodwin
wrote:

> OK deep breath, You might shout at me, 1st I always
> thought the
> server(PC) had to have a higher number eg x.x.0.99
> however the books
> kept giving the same numbers (I can photocopy to
> prove if you like) for
> the client and the server!! I thought maybe Linux
> was different and
> thats why they had the same addresses I could ping
> but I think I was
> just pinging myself "Doh!"

Thats weird, maybe they were just demonstrating
exporting a share and then mounting the share with nfs
back onto the same pc, as a proof of concept. If you
were at 192.168.0.1 and pinging 192.168.0.1 then you
are pinging yourself.

IP addresses can be anything really, as long as they
make logical sense and are on the same network and
subnet mask. I always use the lowest numbers for
servers .1 .2 etc as it makes sense to me that way.

> Is this right?
>
> Server(PC) Suse 192.168.0.99
> Client (Laptop) Fedora 192.168.0.1
>
> Now don,t scream I then used the command "mount
> 192.168.0.2:/home/sneyd/share /home/sneyd/suse"

Hmm, unless you have a 192.168.0.2 on your network
then it won't work, as the ones specified above are
.99 and .1. So swap .2 for .99 and that should mount
your server share onto /home/sneyd/suse assuming
everything else is working (you have a lot of stuff
that we've been going on about to check if it
doesn't.)

> I did get permission denied by server but I wasn't
> sure if that was the
> laptop denying permission to do the mount or the
> suse machine telling me
> to get lost.

If permission was denied by the server, then it's the
server telling you to get lost.

> If I can only mount as root surely it will tell me
> to get lost as user
> "sneyd" (Fedora) is trying to connect to "sneyd"
> suse?

You have to mount as root, I think the user sneyd
becomes involved when they try to acces the files.

> All I want to do is swap pictures and files is that
> too much to ask?

It's painful and frustrating I know. I had problems
too when I did it. I ended up compiling a new kernel
just to make it work and then I still kept missing a /
out and it failed because of it. I re-read my
hosts.allow, hosts.deny and exports files a million
times before I realised.

Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Ad

=====