Tags for ps (was: [Wolves] The good samaritan)

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 21:54:04 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 Feb 2004 8:42 am, fizzy wrote:
>  --- Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > So what's your ps poison?
>
> I'm a ps -aux man myself, same letters as you,
> different order....

Similar here... either "ps ax" or "ps aux", depending on whether or or not I'm
interested in the more detailed user info. No hyphen before the options.
Paraphrasing the "man" page, here are what the options people have mentioned
actually do:

Options that determine which processes are displayed:

 -A   lists all processes (Sparkes' favourite)
  a   lists all processes on a terminal, including those of other users
  x   lists all processes not attached to terminals (without controlling ttys)

The "a" and "x" options together seem to be equivalent to "-A".

Options which determine what information is displayed for each process:

  e   includes the process's environment variables
  f   displays the processes indented in a "Tree view"
  u   includes columns for the user name and various other information

Enjoy!