[Wolves] Fax from MySql database

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Wed Jan 7 16:36:43 GMT 2004

Wayne Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 14:59, Aquarius wrote:
>>Wayne Morris spoo'd forth:
>>
>>>Help!
>>>
>>>Still trying to find either:
>>>Preferably
>>>1) a Linux fax program that will send the same fax to a list of
>>>subscribers numbers held in a MySql database
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>2)
>>>A way of getting Winfax Pro to access the MysQl db (which is on a Redhat
>>>server) - (I only know how to read MySql using php pages)
>>
>>Can WinFax Pro access a subscriber list from any other sort of
>>database?
>>
>>Aq.
>
> I USED to be able to connect Winfax Pro to an Access database using ODBC (whatever that was!) but
> MS removed ODBC support with XP.
> So, the only choice that looks remotely useable in the 'Use phonebook' option of Winfax appears to be
> 'SQL Server via ODBC' (other choices being Access Phonebook via ODBC, Lotus Organise, Dbase etc)
> So is ODBC a thingy compatible and runnable on my Sql server?

ODBC = Open DataBase Connectivity.

Yes, there are ODBC drivers available for pretty much every database
under the sun.  You don't run ODBC on the server machine - it is
something for the client. (the machine running winfax)

Looking at the symantec website it looks like you can connect to any
ODBC source, so you could use mysql or SQL Server, whatever is your
choice...

(Of course, you could always go for PostgreSQL 'cause the rest all suck
donkey's whatsits compared to it, but I won't go into that... :) )

...and of course, winfax is made by symantec so even lightning-speed
hylafax is preferable... ::grins::

--
Dan