[Wolves] ms fud

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Jan 7 20:55:58 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 09:28, David Goodwin wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:45, sparkes wrote:
<snip what="my own bits">

> Not that I trust M$, but I do think that in certain situations the best
> solution may well be Windows... products like small business server do
> seem to be very integrated (note I've not used it ever) and I'm not
> aware of a similar OSS solution which is as apparently integrated or as
> simple to set up.

Yeah I agree, to a point.

MS have picked the parts where they could very well be the best
solution.  but they chose to ignore the open source competitors that
give them a run for their money.

I used small business server many moons ago and it was shite. but I can
see where it fits into a sme.  Train one dude to support it and save
yourself a fortune hiring a new member of staff.  But if you are going
to hire a new member of staff then OSS might provide a better, cheaper
and more future proof solution.

I have always believed in the best tool for the job.  Although I
sometimes force the wrong tool to do the job based on my own biased
opinion for my own projects I advise others to choose MS if that is the
best solution for their own problem.