[Wolves] second thoughts about the game

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Jan 7 20:56:50 GMT 2004

Does anyone know if the scit newsgroups are archived anywhere?  I
definatly asked a pre-slackware question on there that was answered by
arny.  I was trying to get linux installed from scratch (before it was a
book) on my 386/16 sx with 4 meg of ram ;-)

I said I wanted to do it to learn more about unix and he said give up
and carry on playing with the uni machines until I understood it more
;-) at the time he was arguing with someone else at the uni who was
scanning his box (if I remember correctly) I can't for the life remember
who it was but I remember the other guy caught me fake mailing him from
the ex's account trying to wind him up about something.

I discovered slackware about 6 months later and played with that, minix,
and sco on my new 486sx 25 (I didn't have a co-pro on either of these
machines) coolest place I had linux installed in these early days was on
my 386 luggable with an amber screen and 2 meg of ram ;-)

The reason I played with them all was with a 120 meg hard drive I used
to have to repartition and reinstall every time I wanted to use some
software that wasn't on one or the other.  And then Doom came out and I
had to keep a 70 meg dos/win 3.11 partition for that and settled on
linux for the rest (with a very slow X)

I can't remember why I choose linux over sco (probably cos it seemed
like a leet thing to do) but I remember hating minix.

sparkes