[Wolves] Consultancy work thingie for union office.

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Thu Jan 8 10:39:50 GMT 2004

Old Dan spoo'd forth:
>> If management have 0wned their machines then having an external site
>> won't help, because management could install keyboard trackers and
>> whatnot that record passwords that are entered...
>
> I know - I could sniff for that kind of activity before we started
> though couldn't I?

Not easily. If the machines have already been 0wned you can't guarantee
that your sniffers aren't being circumvented. r00tkits tend to hide
themselves.

> Also I could install a firewall between them and the
> rest of the network which only allows certain ports and then only allows
> established/related connections - of course that won't work if the
> clandestine software is installed on the union machines.  I'm beginning
> to think that they should terminate the support contract with management
> and just go with another company (Dan Enterprises? :) ) but that means
> that they won't have access to the council network which I think they
> need for something.  (I'm not sure what - I'll know on saturday when I
> see them)

Thought: USB dongles with a key on them or something? I mean,
management could have a network sniffer running on the boxes, but at
least that'd stop keyboard sniffers, 'cos you wouldn't type in a key.

This is clearly a fizzy and bambam question. Where are you guys?

What's a reasonable level of paranoia in this case? Does everything
they do on the machines need to be secure? If not, then give them one
PC which is secure?

Aq.

--
According to your theory, if a woman can have a baby in nine months
then nine women should be able to have a baby in one month.