[Wolves] Character stripper

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Fri Jan 16 09:31:14 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 09:18, Matthew Revell wrote:
> sparkes said:
>
> > BamBams quite right, just upfront, my first thoughts where sed and awk
> > but I don't know them myself.  Writing perl to do what you want would be
> > quick as it is pretty much what perl 1 was written to do.
>
> Surely that's not the point tho'. I get the fact that Perl is great at
> string handling and has reg ex functionality coming out its ears but what
> I want to do is something that lots of people need to do and, so, what's
> the point in us all writing our own Perl script to do it? If that was the
> general attitude, computing would never have got beyond a tiny academic
> ghetto.

no, one person writes the script and distributes it amoung the company.
And as anyone who has developed software to save people time knows you
will then get accused of making everyone redundant with your perl script
when the company goes tit's up and the boss runs off to bermuda with the
pensions.

> > Vi on the hand is a genius solution.  All you need to know is the
> > correct command to enter I can't be arsed to try and work it out ;-)
>
> There, you've said it. I need to know the correct command. This isn't me
> being lazy, it's just a matter of efficiency. It's like me using a Swiss
> army knife when I know that all I'll ever want to do is to uncork wine
> bottles. There are jobs and there are a number of tools that will do those
> jobs. Perl is one tool but it requires a bit more effort from me.
> Demoronizer - it appears - is another tool, that does exactly what I need,
> with virtually no effort on my part. Now, unless I'm missing the point,
> surely I'm better off using Demoronizer.

yes, see above.  Demoronizer is that perl script, that scratched and
itch, that cleaned the code, that saved us time, that made us all
redundant, that jack built ;-)

sparkes