[Wolves] Character stripper

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 22:46:18 GMT 2004

bambam at opendildonics.org said:

> Here's a crazy idea I've had. How about, everyone who wants
> to do web design should learn enough about text replacement
> to be able to do their job!!! (sparkes is a web designer -
> did I mention that?). If you're wondering, I think you could
> learn it in about 10 mins.

Okay, once again I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, it's
wearing thin.

Before you jump to any more conclusions, I'll let you know a little more
about the situation. I work for a mid-sized company, with copy coming in
from various different people. I'm not a web designer, I'm a web editor.
So, it's my job to make sure copy is fit to go on the site. I'll never
persuade every one in the company to produce content that only has
compliant characters, mainly because everyone produces their copy in Word.

All I wanted was something that would make me more efficient - the goal of
computing, surely? - by automatically replacing non-compliant characters,
with their compliant equivalents. Now, what's wrong with me asking the
members of this list if they know of a tool that can help me with that?

> See, if you educate yourself, maybe you'll get out of the
> huge urban ghetto. It's the general attitude. You seem to
> think: I know it can be done in one line using lots of tools
> that were invented to do this, but, well.. I can't be arsed.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, really. How are you making all these
conclusions based on this small thread? Are you really that angry with the
world, or should I be stretching that benefit of the doubt even thinner
and assume your bombastic style is meant as a joke?

> No, it really is you being lazy. If you were efficient,
> you'd have looked up how to do it in an online manual
> instead of trying to annoy me/us with it.

Man alive, Bambam, get over yourself.