[Wolves] Editors

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 15:50:08 GMT 2004

Chris Procter spoo'd forth:
> > Revert to the proper keybindings and notice that they are actually the
same
> > as the bash keys (C-a for start of line, C-e for end of line etc) and
>>  everything else that uses the gnu readline library (and everywhere in
OSX).

> No. Absolutely not. See, this is one of the reasons why I've never used
> Emacs in the past. I like my editor to work in a particular way, so, in
> essence, since MyPerfectEditor doesn't exist as a set of defaults, what
> I want is an editor which is customisable enough to make it into MPE with
> a bit of tweaking. People who persist in telling me that what I want is
> wrong and I should be doing it their way instead get the bum's rush PDQ.
:)

What you want is no more wrong then emacs default keybindings are wrong,
they are just different. My point is the defaults are worth learning because
they have wider uses then just emacs. Plus of course if you change machines
you still know what your doing.

> > The most important thing I learned as an emacs newbie is that C-g is the
> > cancel key for when you accidently find yourself having pressed some
weird
> > key combination.
>
> I don't press any weird key combinations.

Wow! I wish I went to your typing school cos you must be the only person in
the world who never hits the wrong key by mistake.

> >(I'm a huge emacs fan, but if its a short job I normally use vi
> > because of its quick start up times)

> See, people have said that. But I work in a virtual desktop environment,
and
> I like a separate window per file I'm editing. I don't like editing more
> than one file in a window -- that's MDI, and it's pants. Moreover, if
> I'm working on one virtual desktop, and I try to edit a file, I don't want
> to have to switch to a different virtual desktop in order to get at my
> Emacs window. If I can have it start a new frame on the v.d. I'm on, but
> still run as part of the same Emacs process, then great, but I don't know
> how to do that.

Ahh not something I do really (although it does make a lot of sense when
you're working on multiple virtual desktops so maybe I should give it a
try). You can start a new frame under the same emacs process (on mine
new-frame is mapped to "C-x 5 2" but with yours who knows) and then move
that to a different desktop, you can also start a new frame on a different
display. There is also an emacs server / client type setup but you'll have
to search the info pages for more details on that I'm afraid.

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.