[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:52:54 GMT 2004

fizzy said:

>> Then again, I drive my car and don't know how to fix
>> the turbo
>> intercooler, if it buggers up. Then again, cars are
>> relatively simple,
>> compared to computing :)
>
> I dunno, I think a mechanic could build a PC from
> parts a lot easier than I could build an engine from
> parts! I know how users feel when I talk techy from my
> experience with mechanics, I just kinda glaze over and
> hope it doesn't cost too much!

Yeah, but at the risk of offending lots of people (perhaps millions,
considering the Googling of the archive :) ), you can pretty much train
anyone to be a car mechanic. Using computers beyond the way I use my car
(i.e. an a to b machine, where the bonnet remains closed, unless I run out
of screenwash) takes something far more. It takes serious dedication and a
true love, much of the time. That dedication and love are helped by having
real, programmable, tinkerable computers around you for an early age.

Tis one of the reasons I'm gonna build my nephews a Linux based PC some
time soon.

> fizz

Matthew Revell
www.understated.co.uk