[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Jan 20 13:57:41 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:48, fizzy wrote:
>  --- Matthew Revell <wolveslug at understated.co.uk>
> Agreed :)
>
> > Then again, I drive my car and don't know how to fix
> > the turbo
> > intercooler, if it buggers up.
it's just a glorified radiator ;-) and if you drive a car with an
intercooler you really shouldn't try and do it yourself cos turbos cost
a fortune to replace and can explode if you don't know what you are
doing. ;-)

> Then again, cars are
> > relatively simple,
> > compared to computing :)
depends on what bits you are refering to.  I could probably build a
simple computer using electronic components but Sun wouldn't be worried
about it's power and I could build a simple car from the most basic
elements but porche wouldn't be beating down my door for that either ;-)

> I dunno, I think a mechanic could build a PC from
> parts a lot easier than I could build an engine from
> parts!
depends on the size of the parts.  could the mecanic build a processor
using a pile of transistors?  Could you?

But you could build a car if given all the chunks.  You might graze your
knuckles more than the mechanic and your might not pass the single
vehicle acceptance test first time but I am pretty sure his/her pc
wouldn't boot first time and they would slice knuckles on the case ;-)

> I know how users feel when I talk techy from my
> experience with mechanics, I just kinda glaze over and
> hope it doesn't cost too much!

lol, the secret is to look like you know what you are doing and could
take the bloke outside and spank him silly if he takes liberties.  You
stop being the Mark and start being 'guv'N'er' saved me a fortune once I
perfected it ;-)

> fizz
sparkes