[Wolves] Archive via Google

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Jan 20 19:49:50 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 18:53, Aquarius wrote:
> fizzy spoo'd forth:
> > times...) What's the bible story about lots of people
> > talking in lots of languages again?
>
> The story of the Tower of Babel, planned by Nimrod. God confused
> the languages of the people, giving rise to the myriad different
> tongues of today by striking at the Word rather than sending a
> flood or something equally unsubtle. There is a message here, I feel.
yeah that you can't order two beers in Sanskrit anywhere in the world
;-)

> > Eats, shoots and leaves.  Eats shoots and leaves.
> > Same sentence, two different meanings, one comma
> > difference.
>
> Two commas difference. Two. "Eats, shoots, and leaves."
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo
buffalo.

http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-175.html explains the above
sentence and why natural language processing is always harder than any
undergraduate program gives credit.

by the way the same lingustic rules that make this possible also make my
requakeingisation possible ;-) jono and lee j are gonna be having
flashbacks here ;-)

I do agree that punctuation is important but when communicating via
email such things only apply when there is a possiblity for
misunderstanding.  We all forget the rules from time to time when
chucking an email together because we normally use the language of the
telephone rather than the thesis (sometime more like feces) when
communicating on this medium.  This has led to some pretty silly
examples of how not to talk about our boss, girlfreinds best friend and
competing companies but we should not inject too much formality in our
proceedings on lists like this ;-)

sparkes