[Wolves] Legality of Windows/Mac fonts in Linux?

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Jan 20 20:14:24 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 18:52, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know what the legal position is in taking
> fonts from a Windows/Mac distribution and using them
> on your Linux machine? I assume you can do it under
> the condition that you only use one set of fonts at a
> time, otherwise you would need another license.
each font has it's own licence and font creators should use the comment
area's of font formats to describe the licence but don't :-(

> I know that some MS fonts are/were available for free.
Free as in beer, windows installers apt-get a script to get them on
debian.  see sourceforge project for other systems

> Anyone shed any light on this?
let there be light.  In short see the font creators site for licence
infomation.  Many lookalike fonts will land you in trouble when using
them on commerical works.  Apple are very protective of their fonts used
in advertising but many shareware and freeware (always with bogus
licence options when can't these buggers find a real one, or at least a
debian compatable one) fonts that look like *real* expensive fonts are
really risky.

>   Jono

sparkes