[Wolves] *nix packaging; was RPM

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 10:53:21 GMT 2004

 --- fizzy <fizzyorguk at yahoo.com> wrote: >

> Must agree that it is lessup-to-date, perhaps a
> debian-bleedingedge is needed? :) apt is better than
> rpm because for the /majority/ of things
> dependencies
> are sorted, but for the /majority/ of rpm people
> they
> cause them to kill family pets in frustration.

This is the main reason I never switched back after
using Debian, apart from the fact it has a certain
non-corprate purity and everything seems to be in the
right place. I've sat there scratching my arse and
staring at rpmfind so many times.

> Stupid question, why is it that some things aren't
> in
> the official debian archive? I noted last night that
> mozilla and kde (I think) were on seperate servers.
> I'm guessing this is a Richard Stallman 'not free'
> thing, but there is non-free on the official mirrors
> so I dunno... Other stupid question, how do I know
> what toy story character version of debian I'm on
> and
> how do I change between them (and know the
> differences). </stupid questions>

KDE 3 is not in stable or testing at the moment as
they are waiting for various libs and xf86-4.2 (I
think) to be fixed and packaged I think. I had this
problem when an apt-get upgrade removed my kde setup
and barfed on replacing it. The one and only time I
have experienced apt do something unexpected. However
after a bit googling I found out why. There are
unofficial KDE debs out there. Mozilla I don't know
about.

To change from stable to testing, Woody to Sarge,
change each instance of the word stable to testing in
/etc/apt/sources.list with the exception of
debian-security as all security fixes are included in
testing packages anyway and there is no
debian-security testing archive.

> fizz

Ad (is supposed to be working ;)