[Wolves] united sco more

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 06:59:57 GMT 2004

> IIRC, typically the first CD of a "Powered by UnitedLinux" distro would
> contain base components common to all the partner companies, with
> subsequent
> discs carrying vendor-specific add-ons to the base product.

Indeed.

> The UnitedLinux web site (www.unitedlinux.com) seems to indicate that
> version
> 1.0 is still current, despite being released way back (by Linux standards)
> in
> November 2002!

There have been three service packs since then which update all components
etc. The current kernel is 2.4.19 or 2.4.21 depending upon your install
and what you're doing.

>I must admin always having been rather dubious of this
> project, and the way things are going I have serious doubts that any later
> version will ever see the light of day.

I suspect you'll be wrong. Not that I've read much about it yet, but I
suspect as theinquirer (or was that the register?) termed it - UnitedLinux
have left SCO, after SCO wouldn;t leave.

I suspect that all participants gained from the relationship, in terms of
it being easier to get support for commercial applications - as they only
have to be tested with one distro (united linux) instead of 3-4 seperate
ones.

For what it's worth, I quite like UnitedLinux, at least the SUSE stuff
built around it has been very good in my opinion.

David
--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david