[Wolves] Desktop Linux distro.

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 09:54:48 BST 2004

On Monday 05 Jul 2004 23:21, Jono Bacon wrote:

> Stuart Langridge wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> >> On Monday 05 Jul 2004 19:51, bambam at opendildonics.org spurted:

Windows 2000 -LOL :-D

Ow alright

Mandrake
Best distro for newbies looks and feels like windows in my view 98% hardware
detection very very little setup tinkering required.

Suse
Very slick lots of good bits of proprietary software my installation is having
some problems but I think thats my fault not the software 99% hardware
detection may need some tinkering.

Redhat
All hail RedHat, Cried like a baby when they ended the free version I had RH9
Very very very slick looked good just prior to the change you could have been
forgiven for thinking you were on a Windows machine (Thats not a bad thing
thats good. If people are happy/comfortable they'll change) 99.8% hardware
detection (I would have scored it higher but it f*&$@ed up detecting my
graphics card until Mr Google came up with a fix). needed tinkering.

Fedora Core2
Very very good I personally wouldn't call it bleeding edge now (But it will be
when FC3 comes out) lots of nice apps 98% hardware detection I don't have any
major problems myself but I know others do.

Ive never used Debian but Ive heard it needs configuring skills to get the
full benefit of this distro.

I have used Knoppix, Morphix, Vector, Gentoo, Slackware
Zzzzzz.................. they are all pretty much the same.

The contents of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
management all communication should be regarded with suspicion as the writer
is currently a resident of Broadmoor maximum secure hospital.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"