[Wolves] Packet Protocols

bambam at opendildonics.org bambam at opendildonics.org
Tue Jul 6 15:42:04 BST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Tom Edwards wrote:

Not *the* tom edwards are you? If so i was gonna look you up
in the next couple of days. How was/is uni? You got any
scars yet?

> Hello All,
>
>     Having returned home and and being moaned at for leeching all the
> bandwidth I was investigating wondershaping the firewall. However with
> the default debian kernel this causes all the packets to be dropped by
> default because of some kernel switch (or so my research leads to
> believe, it breaks my firewall anyway). After recompiling a new kernel,
> I now can't seem to get dhclient to get a lease from the blueyonder dhcp
> server, it keeps complaining:

wondershaper good - fixed a shitty win 2k stack p2p client
bug from destroying our bandwidth with what amounted to a
syn-flood. Fucking windows.

> Jul  6 13:33:59 grasmere dhcpd-2.2.x: socket: Protocol not available -
> make sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel
> configuration!

The wondershaper needs a whole lot more. Number 1:

> Which I should have been activated in the kernel (2.2.26 btw).

This surely isn't right? is 2.2 even supported any more? use
2.6 dude!

> Anyone know why ths is? Anyone seen it before?

Number 2:

You need: the packet and netfilter on. All the matching
targets, all the packet scheduling (easier to build them in,
or else you need to script them to modprobe on bringing up
the interface), and obviously all the standard ip stuff and
ethernet drivers. With all this in, wondershaper should just
work (as it did for me) out of the box automagically (given
the correct bandwidth numbers - it's in the debian readme).

> Would be most grateful if you could give me any pointers because its
> bugging me.
>
> Tom

bambam

--
"You are not your job, or how much money you have in the
bank"