[Wolves] Web hosting for our church

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 09:12:16 BST 2004

On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 00:17, The wise and knowledgeable Stuart Langridge
proclaimed:

> True enough. Yep, I'm paranoid. However, these websites are just shells
> around the whois command, and on a Linux box we *have* whois as a stock
> command. Websites that run simple unix commands and bang a web front end
> around them are for Windows people :)

You are absolutely right (By the way we/I don't do it (dam)) the other trick
is to pay some Muppet's to sit at a desk with whois as the main desktop
feature, then go through the business directory and search for the companies
name-equivalent and any variations on whois.

Then they ring up (Our customers have rung us about this so it is fact!) and
say:

"We have had an enquiry to register gotcha-baby.co.uk (or the relevant company
name), we have noticed this is your company name and wanted to give you a
chance to register it first before this other company takes it!"

Now heres the clever bit, a lot of peoples natural reaction is "Ooh I'm not
letting some other git use our name" and agree to purchase but the best laugh
is they were not looking for one in the first place. 1-0 to the salesman I
think?

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"