[Wolves] Required packages

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 02:30:27 BST 2004

On Wednesday 14 Jul 2004 20:44, Tim T Humpherson wrote:

> I am trying to install GRAMPS (which comes with the above coverdisk) but my
> SuSE's YAST2 says I needed these dependencies as follows:

If these can't be satisified by packages within SuSE itself then the RPM is
probably built for use in another distribution which uses different (hence
incompatible) package names. The packages listed are all common Linux/GNOME
components which should definately be part of the SuSE distribution under
some form.

> gnome-python-canvas
> gnome-python-gconf
> gnome-python-gnomerfs
> gnome-python2
> pygtk2
> pygtk2-libglade

All of the above are standard components of GNOME. On Fedora, which I'm more
familiar with, they all have the prefix gnome-python2-. I suspect that
gnomerfs may be a typo for gnomevfs.

> libcrypto.so.4
> libssl.so.4

These two libraries are part of OpenSSL (package name openssl on Fedora),
which should be a standard component of SuSE too (and of most general purpose
desktop or server Linux distributions). Version 0.9.7 or higher should do the
trick.

> Well, thing is, I have tried to find these specific dependencies and yet
> can t find them!  Perhaps you guys could send me an attachment with these
> requested dependencies?

A good tactic would be to do a search on http://www.rpmfind.net/. In your
case, in which all the packages are probably included in the standard
distribution under different names, you could then use this knowledge to
figure out what to install.

This is why Debian's packaging/distribution system is a Good Thing(TM).

James