[Wolves] Re: SuSe Monitors

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 10:16:05 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 Jul 2004 10:53, Evidence shows h.berry at blueyonder.co.uk said:

> From the install I got the basic front panel VGA where you can opt for
> various types of install. what ever I chose I was plunged into darkness.
> the whole system locked up and I had to pull out the plug to get the
> computer to switch off.
> I think this is a problem with the graphic card??

Yep that'll be it

> NVIDIA  GeForce4 MX with AGP8X Ver. 6.13

Ah ha NVIDIA! these cards are notorious as they don't like to release the info
so that drivers can be written for their cards. Having said that Suse has an
option under yast there are Nvidia drivers available for download.

> I think you might have put your finger on one of the problems- my
> deeeeeeeeeep ignorance!

Nope, your not ignorant you know where to ask and thats half the battle, don't
be fooled into thinking people know more than you, they probably don't, have
quickly looked it up in a book and will not be able to some of the things you
can!

> I was in fact tinkering with SaX2. and I set up the monitor to Proview 700
> Well with a little more fiddling I have got rid of the the offending panel.
> But I'm not happy with the resolution.

Ha I spent fruitless hours messing with sax, it wont help as you need drivers
for your card what Suse has done is installed the best match. Have you
checked the  hardware compatability list? (On Suse's web site).

> Is it worth the upgrade? or am I likely to get even more lost!?
> Thanks for your Help

Thats a difficult question, I upgraded because I had shagged my installation
and didn't know how to fix it so took a chance that upgrading would over
write the corrupt file, I was lucky, my plan worked. However I changed my
graphics card as I had similar problems as you and tried the same remedies as
you (Sax & Yast config) with no luck, replacing the graphics card cured the
problem, a bit drastic but there you go.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"